Saturday, September 29, 2012

30 in 1

In case you didn't know, I am coaching a Hiking team to complete 30 miles in one day.  I'm sure you are asking yourself, why is she doing that? Well, I will tell you....

I have run several marathons for charity, but to be honest running 26.2 miles on pavement gets to be a little old.  I saw this poster for the Ultimate Hike (at Panera) (I have a history with Panera that I won't get into right now.)  The Ultimate Hike is a fundraising effort for CureSearch for Children's Cancer. www.curesearch.org  I love to hike, I love raising money for charities, so I figured right up my alley.

Ellie, the midwest regional manager was in a bind because the coach for the team had to back our for medical reasons.  We started talking and there was no way I could turn her down when she needed a volunteer coach, and I am so thankful I didn't turn her down.  I have met some wonderful, caring people who are committed to raising money for CureSearch and completing the Ultimate Hike, 30 miles in one day on October 20th at Tecumseh Trail in Southern Indiana. 

I have to admit, it has been a challenge living in the Chicagoland area finding hikes that have terrain similar to what we will encounter at Tecumseh, but we are getting the miles in- Blisters and All!!  Next Saturday, we have the big one, 22 miles.  We are heading out to Waterfall Glen in Darien to get her done.  The following week, short hike and some team building, the week after that we head out for Tecumseh Trail for the really big one!!  

I couldn't be more excited and passionate to help our team of 17 hikers to get through this challenge.  I am incredibly proud of each and every member of Team BBC-Blisters Battling Cancer!

Starved Rockers!!-Some of our team Rocking It at Starved Rock!!



No comments:

Post a Comment